Friday, 23 January 2015

End of summer

It has been a while since I have posted on here so thought I could give a recap to the end of a busy summer. So last time I updated on here I had just been doing a bit of camping for the start of summer. Well shortly after this Suzy arrived back from her 3 week trip to Europe and we took of for 6 days in Mexico, a much needed break from the real world. We had a good time there just relaxing and catching up with each other after being away from each other for about 5 weeks. The resort was good and we had plenty of time to chill out and drink up. The only unfortunate thing to report was Suzy getting sick at the end of the trip and being bed ridden for a full day and not much better on our last day there.





We returned back to Calgary for another day or two of relaxing before I headed back up to site. My next turnaround I have already posted photos of but we traveled to Northern Saskatchewan to Suzy's mum's trailer at the lake. We got up there early Friday after flying to Saskatoon and spent the weekend there celebrating Suzy's mum's 50th birthday. We had some decent not great weather at the end of August there but got the chance to hang out, drink, golf, play cards and generally hang out with the family was a good weekend. The 9hr drive back to Calgary on the Monday was not the most enjoyable but was fine none the less.







Again after this went back up to site for my 2 weeks where I came back to Calgary to spend my first weekend there since June which I was pretty excited about because I didn't have to travel and secondly was my bday weekend. So more or less the weekend was drinking Friday for my birthday and then the Saturday we went to the home opener of the local junior Western hockey league team which was a great night out.

Hockey fights

Party for two Aussies living in Canada

Fight club

Bday celebrations

The Calgary family




Hiking around Canmore

Birthday celebrations

Hiking Canmore


Downtown Canmore


I spent the last couple of days off recouping and relaxing a bit before heading back to site. Actually my birthday night was the Tuesday evening before heading back to site and Suzy and I did a cool little date where we had something different at a heap of different places because we couldn't decide what to do for my birthday. So we went for margaritas at our favourite Mexican place, beer and Irish car bombs at an Irish place on 4th, went for appetisers at a middle eastern place up the round (best dips I have ever had), then finished off with Indian from our favourite place in town. Turned out to be a great birthday date night.

The following turnaround was go go go. Was starting to really get chilly this time around in early October, I had training for 2 days in Edmonton and on the Friday afternoon Suzy picked me up and took me to her hometown Lloydminster for Canadian thanksgiving. We caught up with friends Friday night going out to local bars, the rest of the weekend was family time drinking late Saturday and Sunday nights which made getting going on the Monday back to Calgary a little slower than we had hoped. We caught up with family, ate and drank too much turkey and pie and just generally thankful for everything we have in not only this great country but generally in my life... We also carved out pumpkins for Halloween in two weeks time, this was my first time doing this and was actually super fun.

Walking the dogs - Thanksgiving


Hockey night in Canada - Thanksgiving edition

My final turnaround up until now was this weekend just passed I again to spend my full turnaround in Calgary which was great. This weekend was Halloween which as per usual means dressing up and heading out for drinking and general debauchery with friends,  this definitely occurred to say the least.



Halloween crew

Suzy and I dressed for Halloween


The following day on Saturday we had tickets to the last regulation season game to the Canadian Football league CFL at 2pm. The CFL is more or less the same as American football except for a couple of rules and the general caliber of the players haha.



This was a bit rough morning (well for certain friends anyway) after a big Halloween evening but we managed to be up and about and drinking by midday as a crew. We got to the game in less than ideal weather, it was snowing in true CFL form but wasn't cold enough so was very wet snow. This made for some uncomfortable sports viewing bit we managed to stay for at least half of the game before leaving to the comforts of a nearby bar.

First snow fall for the year the day we went to the CFL


No comments:

Post a Comment